JCGS has indexed and cataloged almost 430,000 records covering myriad aspects of the lives of Jefferson County residents — including birth and death, land records, military service and even dry cleaning records and the issuance of dog licenses. The indexes to about 180,000 records are listed below. The complete set of databases can be viewed at the Research Center. If you are unable to visit the Research Center, JCGS would be happy to assist you with your research. Go to the Research Request page for details. You might also consider visiting the Washington State Digital Archives for state-wide searches.
Indexes to Deaths, Burials & Obituaries
- Obituary Index: 1871-present
- Index to Deaths: 1891-1910
- Index to Cemetery Records (Records compiled for sixteen of the county’s cemeteries, and information on seven other cemeteries for which JCGS does not keep records.)
- Coroner Records: 1911-1932
- Funeral Home Records: 1913-present
- Newspaper Index of Estates & Probates: (1862-1877, 1891-1957)
This index contains information abstracted by JCGS volunteers from Birth Certificates for the period 1892 to 1926, and Delayed Birth Certificates for the period 1868-1891 The record may contain name, birthplace age and residence of parents.
Jefferson County Genealogical Society volunteers have prepared name indexes for several Jefferson County books held by our Library. These books are available for viewing at the Research Center in Port Townsend, Washington.
Index to Court Records
- Index to Divorce Records (1857-1910) See also Newspaper Indexes.
- Index to Naturalization Records (1890-1926). See also Newspaper Indexes.
- Probate Records (1891-1918). See also Newspaper Indexes.
- Superior Court Civil Records (1890-1913).
- Index to Quilcene Justice Docket (1914-1930).
- Index to James G. Swan’s Docket (1860-1863).
This index contains Land Abstract files from 1850-1954 which were compiled by local title companies. This record includes the legal description of the property and may include information on purchase or sale of property.
Index to Mariner Records (1850-1912)
- Marine Hospital Patients 1870-1880. This Index contains information abstracted from the register of patients admitted to the Marine Hospital 1870-1880.
- Ship Captains, Master Mariners and Pilots 1850-1912. This is an Index of names from seven marine-related sources held by JCGS. Click link for details.
JCGS Volunteers have abstracted marriage information from the Jefferson County Auditor’s Office Marriage Records for the years 1855 to 1933. (See also Newspaper Index of Announcements of Engagements, Marriages & Anniversaries: 1877-1961, 1994-2012.)
- Fort Flagler Families: c. 1898-1930.
- Index of newspaper articles regarding World War I military personnel: 1916-1919 A-L. . . M-Z
- Index of newspaper articles regarding World War II military personnel: 1940-1946
- National Guard: 1890-1895
This index includes more than 18,000 names from 24 data sets.
- Birth Announcements, including some adoptions: 1860-1959, 1980-2012. There are a spattering of listings for the 1960s and the 1970s.
- Announcements of Engagements, Marriages & Anniversaries: 1877-1961, with gaps in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1994-2012.
- Notices of Divorces and Summons: 1900-1955, 1971-1972. There are a few listings 1869-1900.
- Announcements of Naturalizations: 1889-1955, 1962-1963; there is one listing from 1872.
- Notices regarding Estates & Probates (with some adoptions and guardianships): 1862-1877, 1891-1957.
Indexes to Tax & License Records
- Port Townsend Bicycle Licenses (1899-1900) and County Dog Licenses (1920-1922).
- Jefferson County Real Property Assessments 1865-1867
- 1891 City of Port Townsend Assessment Rolls A-F
The Jefferson County Genealogical Society maintains files on some Jefferson County families. The “Vertical File” may contain notes, newspaper articles and other information pertaining to each family.
- Voter Registrations from Port Townsend Precinct Books: 1886-1899, 1913-1914.
- Jefferson County voters: 1914